Today I want to talk about the new Disney film Moana, because I had some issues with it. I mean overall I enjoyed the film I just don’t think it’s the strongest Disney film out there.
The things I didn’t enjoy:
- I didn’t like the references to the modern world or the breaking the 4th wall, Like when Maui referred to “tweeting” and said “If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick then you’re a princess. I mean I get that it’s supposed to be funny but I just felt like for me it broke the magic.
- The villain Te Ka, I did like the whole plot twist around the Te Ka/ Te Fiti but I just don’t think Te Ka was a strong villain who I would hate or be scared of you know?
- That crab sequence was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen! It felt completely out of place and just jarred totally with me! It felt to me as if a whole new writer came on bored for that scene and just never ever read the previous scenes. That shiny song was just insane! It did flow well at all with the overall tone of the movie.
The things I did enjoy:
- I loved the relationship between Moana and her grandmother, I found that really touching and sweet to watch.
- The pairing of Moana and Maui, I think this relationship was balanced really well between the initial hatred and their friendship. I thought it swung nicely between the touching moments and the comedic ones.
- The animation and the scenery was beautiful, It’s the most stunning setting I’ve ever seen. Especially earlier in the film where you see all the fish in the sea. I loved that!
- Baby Moana is adorable! ❤
- The songs (Expect Shiny of course) were great, I loved the tempo and how they flowed together. Very different to what I’m used to in Disney films but I thought it worked really nicely.
And that’s all I have to say, Overall I would give Moana 3.5/5, but please let me know what you think of the film because I’m really curious to see if anyone else had similar thoughts?
Thanks so much for reading!